PINNACLE FC: Dominic Mazzotta and Mark Cherico Headline Pinnacle FC 11 August 29th
Follow Pinnacle Fighting Championships on Twitter
PITTSBURGH, Pa. – Just over three weeks out from Pinnacle Fighting Championships’ return to the Iceoplex in the Pittsburgh suburbs, the organization announced the two headlining title bouts for the event.
First up, Pinnacle FC featherweight champion Mark “The Pride of Bloomfield” Cherico (8-1 / fighting out of Pittsburgh, PA) will look to defend his championship for the second consecutive time when he welcomes Solon Staley (6-2 / fighting out of Columbia, SC) to the Pinnacle FC cage for the first time.
Cherico got back on the winning track at Pinnacle FC 10 in May, when he produced a dominant second round finish of the previously undefeated Darby Halferty. The performance was very Cherico-like, as he used his wrestling and offensive submission game to repeatedly put Halferty in bad spots before eventually picking up the second TKO win of his career.
“I’m honored to be the main event on such a stacked card for the eighth time at Pinnacle FC,” Cherico said. “It’s even better that I get to defend my featherweight title. I’ve been working like crazy in the gym to get better from my previous performances and I can’t wait to showcase my skills for everybody in attendance!”
Staley has earned a reputation as a finisher thus far in his career, competing on the southern regional scene and earning stoppages in each of his six victories. The 31-year-old has also proven to be durable, as he has yet to be finished through eight fights.
Also on the card is Lower Burrell’s own Dominic “The Honey Badger” Mazzotta (7-1 / fighting out of New Kensignton, PA) who makes his second Pinnacle FC appearance against Varon “Mighty Moe” Webb (6-2 / fighting out of Columbia, SC) in a bantamweight attraction. On the line will be the Pinnacle FC bantamweight title vacated by current UFC fighter Cody Garbrandt.
Currently experiencing a meteoric rise that many expect will land him in the UFC before long, Mazzotta put together a nearly flawless performance in May, stopping the very game Tim Goodwin via rear naked choke in the first frame. The 28-year-old jiu-jitsu black belt has earned six stoppages in seven wins, and plans to make it two-for-two in his sophomore Pinnacle FC appearance.
Never one to mince words, Mazzotta kept things short and sweet: “One more road to cross, one more step to take.”
Webb is no stranger to high profile fights, as his last three outings have all had professional titles on the line. “Mighty Moe” has had an impressive career dating back to his debut, when he knocked his opponent out in just 14 seconds.
With the two cornerstone fights in place, more bouts will be announced for Pinnacle FC 11 in the near future. Multiple notables will also be in action on the card, including the professional debut of Pinnacle FC lightweight champion Chris Humes-Mitchell, unbeaten rising star Nick Browne, the MMA debut of professional boxer Jason Bergman, the return of veteran Dave Gabig, and Brandon Seyler.
Some other matchups for Pinnacle FC 11 that were announced:
- After a 4-2 amateur career and successful run as the Pinnacle FC lightweight champion, Chris Humes-Mitchell (0-0 / fighting out of Philadelphia, PA) will take on former national amateur champion Tobiaus Taylor (0-0 / fighting out of Cleveland, OH) in what will be the professional debut for a pair of fighters with high expectations for their careers.
- Exciting Canadian fighter Andrew Cseh (6-4 / fighting out of Welland, ON) takes on the well-rounded Brandon Seyler (3-2-1 / fighting out of Erie, PA) in what promises to be an explosive professional match up.
- Vladimir Jean-Philippe (2-3) vs. Kyle Holt (2-1) - The Pinnacle FC debut of Joey Holt's little brother.
- Teshay Guthro (0-0) vs. Chaka Worthy (1-0) - The Pinnacle FC debut Khama Worthy's younger brother
- Dave Gabig (6-3) vs. Sean Felton (4-2) - Pittsburgh native Gabig returns after a 4-year layoff to compete in his hometown for the first time against the flashy New Yorker Felton.
- Thomas Gormley (0-1) vs. Jeff Crum (0-1)
Tickets for Pinnacle FC 11 are priced from $40-$100 and are available atwww.cagetix.com/pinnacle.